All the Things You Are

The main body of the LCC and its practical application, including all 4 published versions of Book 1 with their inserts: the 1959 tan cover; the 1959 light green cover Japanese edition; the 1970‘s white cover, which adds an illustrated River Trip to the 1959 edition, and the currently available Fourth Edition, 2001.

The authorization code is the first word on Page 198 of the Fourth Edition of the LCCTO.

Moderators: bobappleton, sandywilliams

Forum rules
An open letter from Alice Russell. June 21, 2011, Brookline, Massachusetts. 1. DO NOT make insulting, mean spirited remarks about anyone or their work; there are a plethora of sites where you can rant unfettered. If you attack someone personally, your comments will be removed. You can post it, but I'm not paying for it. Go elsewhere, and let those artists who are actually interested in discussion and learning have the floor. 2. There will be NO posting of or links to copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner. That's the law. And if you respect the work of people who make meaningful contributions, you should have no problem following this policy. 3. I appreciate many of the postings from so many of you. Please don't feel you have to spend your time "defending" the LCC to those who come here with the express purpose of disproving it. George worked for decades to disprove it himself; if you know his music, there's no question that it has gravity. And a final word: George was famous for his refusal to lower his standards in all areas of his life, no matter the cost. He twice refused concerts of his music at Lincoln Center Jazz because of their early position on what was authentically jazz. So save any speculation about the level of him as an artist and a man. The quotes on our websites were not written by George; they were written by critics/writers/scholars/fans over many years. Sincerely, Alice
Bob

All the Things You Are

Post by Bob »

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg19 ... alysis.jpg

Comments. criticism, correction welcomed.
10 {The artist formerly known as Bb}
sandywilliams

Post by sandywilliams »

This chart shows the horizontal tonic stations..right?
The Con Alma subs start on the Db chord...I know your chart doesn't show that, I just love 'all the subs' that can manifest themselves over this tune. David Baker has a nice tune called 'None a Place May Be' based on ATTYA using changes he got from the 1959 LCC.
The Bill Evans solo piano version has great changes. For instance, one of the choruses, instead of playing E major he plays E 13, a tonic seventh chord.
Bob

Post by Bob »

If you would state your intent...I'd like to make a comment or two.
My intent was to prepare the lead sheep for blowing, as efficiently as possible. So I indicated the HTG tonic stations, and where the prevailing chord demanded it, I used a AMG, CMG or SMG withour changing the "tonic" of the tonic station to facilitate memorization. I did not indicate LYD over every major chord because that's a given, with the option to remain horizontally major still available. ~7th chords can have #4, b9 > ALT, minor +7, b5, b9, etc. Composing is one thing, you can have resources laid out, you have time to think. One 'problem' with a chord to chord vertical analysis of a lead sheet is that it kind of locks in the chords.
Using substitutions on the fly is a horizontal affair, thus again the horizontal 'analysis.' I realize that with practise, the VTG, HTG, and SVG implications may become internalized to the point that one can just play.

Ed Byrnes, Appleton's favorite trombone player, remarked that if you base your improvisation on the melody, it will work with virtually any accompaniment. I am focused on the Koan at the moment.

You're obviously miles ahead of me as a writer/composer, so I welcome your comments.
Bob

Post by Bob »

motherlode wrote:OK...and at what tempo?
Interesting question. qn=120.
sandywilliams

Post by sandywilliams »

The version of All the Things on Luke Gillespie’s CD would blow your mind and I think it’s only one chorus.
http://www.riaxmusic.com/catalog/produc ... ucts_id=44
Bob

Post by Bob »

The mp3 sample was a Haiku 5-7-5

That was extraordinary. So I guess I'll order the cd.
Bob

Post by Bob »

motherlode wrote:I had some fun and played around with your approach most of the day and found it perfectly workable. I thought that mm=120 might be a little slow with so much space, actually mm=160 felt better to me, but thats purely subjective.

I did have two minor considerations: in bars 14-15-16 (leading into the bridge), and bar 36 (the last bar), I felt that something needed to happen to alert the ear that something was about to happen.

The song itself supplied the answer. The melody notes in bars 14-15 are: C D Eb D C | B | over, D7 to Gmaj7. Now this is the classic Cmin with the 9th in the bass -or- D7b9. As you know, the primary scale color is EbLyd, when played from D, its D phygian...my favorite. So I played it every time in that spot.

And in the last bar, I played G7 to C7, or anything to turn the song back.
Like I said, I found your approach, perfectly workable.

Maybe the piano player would need to be clued in so that he might join in the fun.
The lead in to the bridge idea is perfect. Phrygian is likewise my favorite since Sketches of Spain, I've been obsessed with Flamenco. Phrygian scales play themselves. Thanks for the tips,
Bob

Post by Bob »

Well, I'll be oobopshebammed, and thank you. I wasn't aware of that, and it opens up some windows. Although I was raised on Klook, it's the sort of thing a drummer might overloook. (Scat the above at 120 bpm.)
BeBoB. (I think I just finished my tune!)
Bob

Post by Bob »

Bebop is the motherlode.
Bird lives!