George Russell @ 100 some events from Europe and the US

The main body of the LCC and its practical application, including all 4 published versions of Book 1 with their inserts: the 1959 tan cover; the 1959 light green cover Japanese edition; the 1970‘s white cover, which adds an illustrated River Trip to the 1959 edition, and the currently available Fourth Edition, 2001.

The authorization code is the first word on Page 198 of the Fourth Edition of the LCCTO.

Moderators: bobappleton, sandywilliams

Forum rules
An open letter from Alice Russell. June 21, 2011, Brookline, Massachusetts. 1. DO NOT make insulting, mean spirited remarks about anyone or their work; there are a plethora of sites where you can rant unfettered. If you attack someone personally, your comments will be removed. You can post it, but I'm not paying for it. Go elsewhere, and let those artists who are actually interested in discussion and learning have the floor. 2. There will be NO posting of or links to copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner. That's the law. And if you respect the work of people who make meaningful contributions, you should have no problem following this policy. 3. I appreciate many of the postings from so many of you. Please don't feel you have to spend your time "defending" the LCC to those who come here with the express purpose of disproving it. George worked for decades to disprove it himself; if you know his music, there's no question that it has gravity. And a final word: George was famous for his refusal to lower his standards in all areas of his life, no matter the cost. He twice refused concerts of his music at Lincoln Center Jazz because of their early position on what was authentically jazz. So save any speculation about the level of him as an artist and a man. The quotes on our websites were not written by George; they were written by critics/writers/scholars/fans over many years. Sincerely, Alice
bobappleton

George Russell @ 100 some events from Europe and the US

Post by bobappleton »

Thanks to Duncan Heining, John Hauknes and Michael Schell

Note from Duncan Heining:
“Sadly, very little seems to be happening to acknowledge George's centenary. Hans Koller (https://www.hanskoller.co.uk/) and I are trying to do a few things. On Thursday 29th June, there is a performance of Living Time at the Vortex in London. There is another concert of New York, N.Y. at the Guildhall School in September organised by Robert Mitchell. The only significant event I am aware of is in Oslo, organised by John Hauknes.”

Note from John Hauknes
George Russell–The man from Lydia 100 years

Today, June 23, 2023, it is exactly 100 years since composer, music theorist, teacher, bandleader and musician George Russell was born. Jazz scholar Johan Hauknes marked the anniversary in the Oslo Jazz Circle with a lecture on George Russell's music, his theories and his importance for Norwegian jazz.

When George Russell visited Stockholm in 1964, he quickly decided to stay. In 1965 he played at the Molde jazz festival, and played for the first time with Jan Garbarek, Jon Christensen and other Norwegian musicians. In the following years, Russell was to become an important teacher and inspiration for young Norwegian and Swedish jazz musicians.

George Russell was early active in the work to unite jazz and contemporary music, with great orchestral ambitions on behalf of jazz music. He joined the circle early on that was behind the ideas about new music that was termed Third Stream Music. He received considerable support for these thoughts in the meeting with the Norwegian contemporary music community. This meeting was of great importance not only for Russell's further musical development. With his work in Oslo and Stockholm, George Russell contributed to the foundation of Scandinavian modal jazz, which flourished in the 1970s.

George Russell played at the Kongsberg jazz festival three times, the first time in 1969, the last time in 1979. The third time was a historic church concert in 1971, where Russell proclaimed "Listen to the Silence"! At the Molde jazz festival, however, he only played once. But this one time was to be a watershed in Norwegian jazz.

His ideas and theories gathered in his Lydian chromatic concept of tonal organization are a musicological masterpiece that laid a foundation for understanding and renewing not only the new modal jazz that emerged in New York in the 1950s and 1960s, but which became significant for all jazz going forward. This laid the foundation for a significant renewal of jazz's forms of expression throughout the world. It allowed jazz to take root in countless musical traditions, far removed from the traditions it grew out of.

The lecture illuminated, among other things, his production during the years he was in Norway and Sweden, the long lines in his musical work and discussed his importance for the renewal of Norwegian jazz in the decades after.

Note from me
USA: Sunday June 25 2023 from 10 pm pst
https://m.facebook.com/FlotationDeviceRadio host Michael Schell: Track 1 Ilgenfritz, Track 2 Paul Bley, Track 3 Sergio Armaroli, Track 4 George Russell Electronic Sonata Part 1, scenes 1-7 (1968).

And this: Jazz 88.3 KCCK-FM
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=807 ... 9269262072

Thanks to Hiro Honshuku:
https://www.facebook.com/1664486456/pos ... tid=v7YzmG

Happy George Russell 100th 🎂 He was my mentor since I arrived in the US. I worked for him for 20 years. He was a genius. This song is an excerpt from "It's About Time" (1997). He wrote this for his wife, Alice. As far as I know, this is the only Bossa Nova he wrote. It's an amazingly beautiful piece. His lines don't go with the known chord scales, which makes everything so special. Check out the entire suite. The section that comes after this is so powerful. We played this live on every tour.