Was there a second volume?

Discussions on the theoretical basis of the LCC

Moderators: bobappleton, sandywilliams

Jazzmandoug

Was there a second volume?

Post by Jazzmandoug »

Hi - nice to be part of this! There are several mentions in volume 1 of ideas to be developed in a subsequent volume. Did that ever happen, and can anyone enlighten me how it can be found?
Many thanks from England!
guitarjazz

Re: Was there a second volume?

Post by guitarjazz »

Unfortunately the second volume will never come out...I believe that was stipulated in Mr. Russell's will. The best you can do is to familiarize yourself with the section regarding Horizontal Tonal Gravity, from the 1959 (1964 revised) editions.
Even better would be to take a Skype lesson from Ben Schwendener. Google him and you'll find his website. Ive taken private lessons with Ben and studied from him (alongside George Russell). Mind-blowing!
anr

Post by anr »

I'm Alice Russell, George's widow. To set the record straight, George did not stipulate in his will that nothing further be published after his death; he trusted me to make that decision. No one else has the authority to speculate about the future of the Concept, try as they may. I've been discussing options with trusted students of the LCC--we have a number of possibilities regarding the dissemination of materials. It's a slow process; I have thousands of pages which were written, rewritten, edited, and edited again. We're going through them painstakingly, with the prevailing thought being that some of the material could be made available as downloads. But, at present, that's as far as we've gotten.
When I know more, so will you.
For those of you who are in summer mode, enjoy the remainder of it. And thank you, Bob and Sandy.
Best,
Alice
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

Thank you Alice!

:idea:
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

guitarjazz wrote:Unfortunately the second volume will never come out...I believe that was stipulated in Mr. Russell's will. The best you can do is to familiarize yourself with the section regarding Horizontal Tonal Gravity, from the 1959 (1964 revised) editions.
Even better would be to take a Skype lesson from Ben Schwendener. Google him and you'll find his website. Ive taken private lessons with Ben and studied from him (alongside George Russell). Mind-blowing!
I also studied with Ben - by phone from the wilds of Minnesota: http://www.benschwendener.com/
Andy Wasserman is another great LCC teacher authorised by George: http://andywasserman.com/music-theory/g ... ic-concept

BTW - the best thing about phone or skype lessons is that you can record them - I've done this with the LCC and Ben and with my software program Max/MSP and various teachers - so then these recording become your own book - your personalized manual. And that's a great and very simple use of technology...

ps: i was lucky enough to perform visual music with the incredible Peter Cassino from Longy School of Music at the ISIM conference in May. Peter is a former student of George and department chair at Longy where Ben teaches the LCC... small worlds we live in :)
guitarjazz

Post by guitarjazz »

I've noticed a plethora of shaky 'tutorials' about the LCC on YouTube.
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

That's too bad guitar jazz. I hadn't been looking - so I just watched one of the newer ones and the guy was 'splaining how a C major chord with a C major scale doesn't work because of the avoid note (i always thought George said there are no avoid notes). Anyway at the end of 5 minutes and 29 seconds in which he repeatedly played an F with the C chord and made it sound terrible, he still hadn't played us the scale which he said did sound in harmony - the C Lydian scale.

So that's what we heard - the LCC being 'splained with horrible harmony. I'm really looking forward to see what Alice and the approved LCC teachers come up with on Book 2. It would also be great to see an Official LCC Channel on the you-tube.

Hey I just watched some of the others – amazing(ly) sketchy...

All the best!

Bob
Anatole

Post by Anatole »

anr wrote:I'm Alice Russell, George's widow. To set the record straight, George did not stipulate in his will that nothing further be published after his death; he trusted me to make that decision. No one else has the authority to speculate about the future of the Concept, try as they may. I've been discussing options with trusted students of the LCC--we have a number of possibilities regarding the dissemination of materials. It's a slow process; I have thousands of pages which were written, rewritten, edited, and edited again. We're going through them painstakingly, with the prevailing thought being that some of the material could be made available as downloads. But, at present, that's as far as we've gotten.
When I know more, so will you.
For those of you who are in summer mode, enjoy the remainder of it. And thank you, Bob and Sandy.
Best,
Alice
Does someone know how to ask Alice about the state of the process nowadays ?

thanks.
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

Hi Anatole,

Alice did say "When I know more, so will you." so maybe you did just ask the question.
If she's too busy, I can drop her a note and ask for an update.

Best,

Bob
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

Hi Anatole, I received a response to your question about the future of LCC from Alice.

"Hi, Bob,

Several educational entities have aligned with me to organize the George Russell Legacy project, as a part of my donating George’s archives to the Library of Congress.

I’m working with several teachers of the LCC to organize George’s LCC writings over 60 years to distill them to their most complete expression. The goal is to publish “chapters” (for want of a better term) to be made available as they are completed. We are also working with a new non- profit channel on presenting a series on George’s music and the LCC.

All of this is in the process of developing, and things are falling into place. We’ll start making formal notifications as we progress.

Feel free to post this on the Forum.

Best to you both,
Alice"

This is for you. I'll post the contents again as a general notification for everyone.