guitar fingering question

The main body of the LCC and its practical application, including all 4 published versions of Book 1 with their inserts: the 1959 tan cover; the 1959 light green cover Japanese edition; the 1970‘s white cover, which adds an illustrated River Trip to the 1959 edition, and the currently available Fourth Edition, 2001.

The authorization code is the first word on Page 198 of the Fourth Edition of the LCCTO.

Moderators: bobappleton, sandywilliams

Forum rules
An open letter from Alice Russell. June 21, 2011, Brookline, Massachusetts. 1. DO NOT make insulting, mean spirited remarks about anyone or their work; there are a plethora of sites where you can rant unfettered. If you attack someone personally, your comments will be removed. You can post it, but I'm not paying for it. Go elsewhere, and let those artists who are actually interested in discussion and learning have the floor. 2. There will be NO posting of or links to copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner. That's the law. And if you respect the work of people who make meaningful contributions, you should have no problem following this policy. 3. I appreciate many of the postings from so many of you. Please don't feel you have to spend your time "defending" the LCC to those who come here with the express purpose of disproving it. George worked for decades to disprove it himself; if you know his music, there's no question that it has gravity. And a final word: George was famous for his refusal to lower his standards in all areas of his life, no matter the cost. He twice refused concerts of his music at Lincoln Center Jazz because of their early position on what was authentically jazz. So save any speculation about the level of him as an artist and a man. The quotes on our websites were not written by George; they were written by critics/writers/scholars/fans over many years. Sincerely, Alice
guitarjazz

guitar fingering question

Post by guitarjazz »

I’m new to the Concept. Where can I find guitar fingerings for the Lydian Diminished and Lydian Augmented scales?
sandywilliams

Post by sandywilliams »

What scale books do you use?
guitarjazz

Post by guitarjazz »

mostly the Segovia book...can anyone recommend any others?
Fer Carranza

Guitar fingering.

Post by Fer Carranza »

I think Sandy was saying is what is your jazz scale practice book. If you have one jazz scale book this scales (Augmented, dimished, etc.) can be finded under another name.
sandywilliams

Post by sandywilliams »

There are some jazz guitar books with good scale fingerings. The Dennis Sandole Guitar Lore book comes to mind as well as the William Leavitt Modern Guitar series. There is a Joe Pass book ( The Joe Pass Method) that has fingerings. You can arrive at fingerings for the Lydian Augmented and Lydian Diminished by changing one note of the major scale. I do like the Segovia book because it has you play up and down the fingerboard instead of just across it. I also like it because it manages to accomplish this with no stretches.
One last book that is not well know but really worth checking out is the Chuck Anderson book The Six Secrets of Guitar Fingerings:
http://www.curtsheller.com/books/6SGF.shtml
Good luck!
guitarjazz

Post by guitarjazz »

Sounds like a lot of work. How much should I practice the scales once I figure out how to play them?
Fer Carranza

Post by Fer Carranza »

I don´t know your knowledge, but I case you´re a not begginer in guitar I think that in few days you can try these fingerings in your instrument. It´s not so difficult try it, the hard work it´s to achieve good phrasing and to remember the changes between chords.
Bob

guitar fingerings

Post by Bob »

For bass guitar, I made a 12x12 table with the chromatic scale by the 12 columns. The first row lists the primary modal genras: e.g., Imaj II7, etc. the next rows indicate the roman numeral for each of the scale. The cells of the table are one fret apart. the only decision left is when to shift strings or position, dictated by what you want to 'say' and efficiency.
10 {The artist formerly known as Bb}