Math and the LCC - with an example

The main body of the LCC and its practical application, including all 4 published versions of Book 1 with their inserts: the 1959 tan cover; the 1959 light green cover Japanese edition; the 1970‘s white cover, which adds an illustrated River Trip to the 1959 edition, and the currently available Fourth Edition, 2001.

The authorization code is the first word on Page 198 of the Fourth Edition of the LCCTO.

Moderators: bobappleton, sandywilliams

Forum rules
An open letter from Alice Russell. June 21, 2011, Brookline, Massachusetts. 1. DO NOT make insulting, mean spirited remarks about anyone or their work; there are a plethora of sites where you can rant unfettered. If you attack someone personally, your comments will be removed. You can post it, but I'm not paying for it. Go elsewhere, and let those artists who are actually interested in discussion and learning have the floor. 2. There will be NO posting of or links to copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner. That's the law. And if you respect the work of people who make meaningful contributions, you should have no problem following this policy. 3. I appreciate many of the postings from so many of you. Please don't feel you have to spend your time "defending" the LCC to those who come here with the express purpose of disproving it. George worked for decades to disprove it himself; if you know his music, there's no question that it has gravity. And a final word: George was famous for his refusal to lower his standards in all areas of his life, no matter the cost. He twice refused concerts of his music at Lincoln Center Jazz because of their early position on what was authentically jazz. So save any speculation about the level of him as an artist and a man. The quotes on our websites were not written by George; they were written by critics/writers/scholars/fans over many years. Sincerely, Alice
isaacdelpozo

Re: Math and the LCC - with an example

Post by isaacdelpozo »

I upload here a graphic with the ratios to visualize the ratios of the lydian scale.

Isaac
Attachments
lydian with example.jpg
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

:)
isaacdelpozo

Post by isaacdelpozo »

Hello to every one,

Due to the present "possible doubts", i´m gonna explain the differences between tempered and natural fifths.

The tempered fifths are calculated multiplying the fundamental frequency by 2^(7/12). The result of doing this 7 times is a Lydian tempered scale arranged in fifths.
If you do the same process but multiplying the fundamental frecuency by 3/2, the result is an untempered Lydian scale( not available in a piano for example).

The mathematical formulae is derived from the LCC, although you can choose tempering or not the scale.
Tempered music and the lCC are not the same , but they are compatible.

In the example I sent to the forum i used tempered frequencies ( available in most instruments, midi, synth.....).

Hope it helps

Isaac
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

Isaac,

Do you think the math adds perspective on the 5 remaining notes in the lydian chromatic scale?
isaacdelpozo

Post by isaacdelpozo »

Hello,
you can follow the series and until reach r x 2^7.

Isaac
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

Here's a thought: If we can simplify this for non-mathematicians to understand we're just a few steps away from making a piece of software – something that's been talked about here for years, and something that could allow a younger generation of electro-acoustic musicians to discover, use and develop The Concept for any kind of music. We could start with a Skype video conversation - like you and I Isaac have done before - answering Chesper's great question. We upload it and get feedback. We do that some more and then we translate the result into version 1.0 and we test it.

The potential is for a teaching tool, a composition tool and a software performance instrument – maybe open source on GitHub, maybe in conjunction with the book.

b
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

Hi Isaac,

Yes, I think I understand you. I was wondering about additional insight into the perennial questions of why the WOTG skips a fifth, and why the Lydian ladder of fifths has a natural limit of 7 notes.
isaacdelpozo

Post by isaacdelpozo »

Hello again,

Well, the explanation of the natural limit is a little bit complex but it can be done.

Let me make another PDF and upload it soon.

Isaac
isaacdelpozo

Post by isaacdelpozo »

Hello again,

Here i upload new material no understand better your the natural limit of the Lydian scale.

Hope it helps.

Soon i will upload musical examples.

Isaac
Attachments
one
one
isaacdelpozo

Post by isaacdelpozo »

Attachments
isaacdelpozo

Post by isaacdelpozo »

. :mrgreen:
Attachments
isaacdelpozo

Post by isaacdelpozo »

:mrgreen:
Attachments
l4.jpg
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

Isaac,

Thanks for sharing. I have checked out your papers. While I have not gone over the math in detail, I might have an inkling of what you're getting at.

Is it possible to explain your idea in words and music? I am looking forward to the musical examples.

CN
isaacdelpozo

Post by isaacdelpozo »

Yes no prob.

I will make a video or something to explain it better.

Im busy now. But soon i will upload more.

Isaac