Marcus Belgrave article

The main body of the LCC and its practical application, including all 4 published versions of Book 1 with their inserts: the 1959 tan cover; the 1959 light green cover Japanese edition; the 1970‘s white cover, which adds an illustrated River Trip to the 1959 edition, and the currently available Fourth Edition, 2001.

The authorization code is the first word on Page 198 of the Fourth Edition of the LCCTO.

Moderators: bobappleton, sandywilliams

Forum rules
An open letter from Alice Russell. June 21, 2011, Brookline, Massachusetts. 1. DO NOT make insulting, mean spirited remarks about anyone or their work; there are a plethora of sites where you can rant unfettered. If you attack someone personally, your comments will be removed. You can post it, but I'm not paying for it. Go elsewhere, and let those artists who are actually interested in discussion and learning have the floor. 2. There will be NO posting of or links to copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner. That's the law. And if you respect the work of people who make meaningful contributions, you should have no problem following this policy. 3. I appreciate many of the postings from so many of you. Please don't feel you have to spend your time "defending" the LCC to those who come here with the express purpose of disproving it. George worked for decades to disprove it himself; if you know his music, there's no question that it has gravity. And a final word: George was famous for his refusal to lower his standards in all areas of his life, no matter the cost. He twice refused concerts of his music at Lincoln Center Jazz because of their early position on what was authentically jazz. So save any speculation about the level of him as an artist and a man. The quotes on our websites were not written by George; they were written by critics/writers/scholars/fans over many years. Sincerely, Alice
chespernevins

Marcus Belgrave article

Post by chespernevins »

I am more aware of Detroit now, thanks to Motherlode, so I read this article about Marcus Belgrave with interest. And, of course, I love that period of Ray Charles' groups.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article ... g=3&page=1

BTW, ML, thanks for all you do on this site.
chespernevins

Re: Marcus Belgrave article

Post by chespernevins »

Great story and great memories, I'm sure!

Of course, it would be great to have him stop in!
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

Motherlode,

Thanks a lot for that update. I'm glad he's doing ok. Too bad that he's on oxygen - it must be difficult to play. (As an aside - do you know they are finding that harmonica playing is good for people with COPD? It's more entertaining but has the equal effect of using those breathing workout machines).

My good friend pianist Lee Shaw, who I'm on those recordings with has also been on oxygen for quite a while. She is not getting around very well, but when she plays, it sounds as good as ever!

Will you go back to Detroit in 2013?
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

Ha ha! Well, luckily, you wrote everything down, so I can catch up! I really liked your 9 tone order thing, but I'll get to that later.

COPD & harmonica related:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2006 ... _lungs.htm

Of course, the music is terrible on this web site mentioned above, but aside from that, the harmonica is supposed to have some benefit. The holes in the harp are small enough to create some resistance, much like the breathing exercise machines. Anyway, something he could think about.

PS. It's really great to hear this history from you.
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

That's an interesting coincidence! Yes, how does something like this come together?

check this out too:

http://www.harmonicamasterclass.com/pulm.htm
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

Wow, great to hear that he's still performing, even with the breathing issues. Ask him how that's going, will you?
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

Ok, very cool. Thanks for the news. Glad to hear that his health is looking up. I noticed that his wife was performing at the festival too, but hadn't known about her before either.

I guess if I had any specific questions re: the Concept for him, I would ask him how deep did he get into the LCC theory. The scales? Tonal Gravity Intervals? What else? Did it influence his playing or composing more, or both?

I suppose I would ask if there were any specific compositions by GR that influenced him or impressed him - or any groups - or any albums.

I hope the tune works out for everyone - maybe we can hear it here someday.

(Motherlode - would love to hear the Mingus story :) Seems like, I am guessing, a lot of Mingus's attitude may have depended on when you caught him... :)
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

Interesting that you have ready access to "the" song that makes the story. :)

Great tune! Reading a chart like that will give fits to us harmonica players, lol!
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

Hey, let the horns do the heavy lifting...and you just come in singing on the harp!! I'll watch your back. LOL.
HA HA :D Love it!

"Simple So" :

Wow, very nice. Lyrics too!

You've got some interesting things going on metrically there. I listened a few times, but am not sure what it is yet exactly.
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

writing with a slightly red face... apologies for not yet having done anything with zero gravity... it's beautiful and i will... also loving "simple so" and just realized that today is your 6th birthday on the forum... all best wishes and (to quote chesper) thanks for all you post here...
b
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

replying first to your earlier post - xmas, n year, etc, i'm sure you understand ;) - we are eternally grateful for everything you post here - your musical intelligence shines like a beacon…
b
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

beautiful… he looks great, it all sounds great… detroit is new york ;))

was in michigan again for xmas and met another detroit musician - a piano player who teaches IT at MSU and who's wife teaches music in detroit…. thinking about all the great talent that still lives there… and wishing them a transformative new year…

b
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

been reading a lot of coltrane lately - so many books now… i love the part where he says - i want my music to make deaf people hear and poor people rich - like wishes he could make and grant through playing…