I have a concept

Work which evolves aspects of George Russell's theories such as Tonal Gravity.

Moderators: bobappleton, sandywilliams

bobappleton

I have a concept

Post by bobappleton »

Here's a thread for personal concepts. Feel free to post or link to yours here.

Mine is Tonal Gravity applied to sound, text and image: http://www.a-g-i.org/4504/current-artic ... guage.html

b
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

Thanks ML. So true. The work is the footprint we leave behind. I often look at the guy in the top left with his arms outstretched, coaxing every possible sound from his orchestra, and I hope we still share a vibe.

I came here intuitively... with the desire to learn through discussion and exposure to George Russell's way of thinking. And I've grown. Oliver Sacks understands this – Music (he says, speaking of his patients) "can have a power beyond anything else to restore them to themselves, and to others..."

b
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

My "project": I retune my harmonica to a diminished scale. The way it ends up is that on a C chromatic harmonica, there is a WH dim scale and a HW dim scale available in C in fundamental patterns. It was just coincidence that I discovered that the diatonic scale starting on C with the most enharmonics available (notes that are available in more than one "fingering") is the C Lydian scale. Interesting that so many of the 9-12 tone order notes can be seen as diminished scale notes (+5, b3, and 4 from Aux Dim, b7 and b2 from Aux Dim Blues). It's also been interesting to chart the default blow and draw minor third combinations through tonal gravity.
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

This looks interesting Chesper. Thanks for posting. Do you have sound files or performance video, so we can see and hear it?
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

Hi ML. Is there some performance audio or video of your take on the LCC that could be posted here?
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

I was curious. Do you like the sound of the harmonica played through an amp then mic the amp? Or directly through the PA system?
To this listener the harmonica sans the breath sounds looses some of it's charm.
What's your view?
ML, thanks for asking. This (my sound) is obviously a big question for me. I'm not in a very settled place with it at the moment.

Obviously at home, it's always an acoustic sound. But in a live setting, it's pretty much been mic to amp, just based on lack of PA in most of the places I might play.

Mostly I've used the exact same mic that Toots uses - SM58 - nothing fancy. But then I go to a Fender Blues Junior tube amp. Maybe this accounts for a slightly more "electric" or processed sound? I've heard chrom players that go through a plain keyboard amp and haven't always been excited by that sound either.

The other night I sat in with a New Orleans type band, and with my amp turned up was able to get more of a blues harp type of sound. I liked this sound in that setting.

So I guess I like the acoustic sound sometimes, and the blues-like amplified sound sometimes, but what you may be detecting is that I am sounding somewhere in between. If you've ever heard blues singer Paul Delay play chrom, he seems to pull it off pretty well.

The studio sound on those first few cuts was sort of an experiment, with an SM58 in my hand and a Sennheiser (sp?) in front of me. So in the studio I may get to mix the sound to a combination that I like, if I ever get back there!

I'm rambling on, but you have heard my dilemma.

Suffice to say, you have provoked me into thinking about it more deeply.

When you reference a harmonica sound with breath, are you thinking of any artist in particular, or just a sound in general?
Last edited by chespernevins on Wed May 25, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

Beautiful playing Motherlode!
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

cool
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

I remember this piece. "Tonal Gravity" is the perfect title.

I can see it (with percussion, solos, imagery and words) as live audio-visual performance - Vortex.

I've been thinking about how to do this for a while - and I've talked about it with Sandy. The problem as usual is there's no money. Live would be great. But I can also imagine doing it individually like a studio date... with differenmt people on the Forum taking solos - and mixing it all to DVD.

Tell me what you think Maybe others would like to be involved as well.

b
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

ML. I think a multi-media suite called Tonal Gravity could be amazing. Love your tune. Thanks for the offer - I accept.

There is a project, which I can't talk about yet, so I won't. Suffice to say – all credit of an intellectual and financial nature, will be given to its rightful owners.
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

With modern equipment, any audio/visual track can be downloaded, fed into a sequencer, sliced, spaced, re-arranged, added to, mixed and back into cyberspace. It would be good to know how many here have access to such equipment as a point of reference.
What kind of equipment is needed to do something like this? I assume it is some combination of controller, computer, software. I also assume there are any number of options.
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

chesper:

you need a recording source and a way of performing over a backing track.

you send your track online (via something like "you send it").

audio and video are edited and added to final cut pro.

a dvd is made and excerpts are posted online.

b