Goodrick's thoughts about the LCC

The main body of the LCC and its practical application, including all 4 published versions of Book 1 with their inserts: the 1959 tan cover; the 1959 light green cover Japanese edition; the 1970‘s white cover, which adds an illustrated River Trip to the 1959 edition, and the currently available Fourth Edition, 2001.

The authorization code is the first word on Page 198 of the Fourth Edition of the LCCTO.

Moderators: bobappleton, sandywilliams

Forum rules
An open letter from Alice Russell. June 21, 2011, Brookline, Massachusetts. 1. DO NOT make insulting, mean spirited remarks about anyone or their work; there are a plethora of sites where you can rant unfettered. If you attack someone personally, your comments will be removed. You can post it, but I'm not paying for it. Go elsewhere, and let those artists who are actually interested in discussion and learning have the floor. 2. There will be NO posting of or links to copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner. That's the law. And if you respect the work of people who make meaningful contributions, you should have no problem following this policy. 3. I appreciate many of the postings from so many of you. Please don't feel you have to spend your time "defending" the LCC to those who come here with the express purpose of disproving it. George worked for decades to disprove it himself; if you know his music, there's no question that it has gravity. And a final word: George was famous for his refusal to lower his standards in all areas of his life, no matter the cost. He twice refused concerts of his music at Lincoln Center Jazz because of their early position on what was authentically jazz. So save any speculation about the level of him as an artist and a man. The quotes on our websites were not written by George; they were written by critics/writers/scholars/fans over many years. Sincerely, Alice
guitarjazz

Goodrick's thoughts about the LCC

Post by guitarjazz »

Mick Goodrick's Advancing Guitarist book contains some sane reflections on the LCC. Mick and George were friends and colleagues.
Here is a quote from page 62(the underlining is mine):
"I personally think that the most valuable aspect of the L.C.C. has to do with the way the author "looked at the overview." [u]The way that he chose to [/u][u]organize it was one of several possibilities.[/u] But the fact that someone could look this way is quite valuable, I think. There are examples of L.C.C. thinking that I've found very useful. You'll find some of them in this present volume. Again, I must add that my own feeling is any system has certain "traps' built into it by virtue of being a "system." On the other hand, to diregard the benifits and valuable aspects of someone's work just because it's a system would be silly. So, my advice would be to check it out if you're interested, and takes from it what makes sense to you."
guitarjazz

Post by guitarjazz »

Joey, Do you have the Advancing Guitarist? Starting on page 68 their several pages of examples where Goodrick is using some ideas from the Concept. You can call them other names too (chord substitutions, modal transpositions whatever floats your boat).
guitarjazz

Post by guitarjazz »

There is a Goodrick quote in the first post of this thread. In the book there are several examples of chord changes with comparisons between different concepts for dealing with them. This section is followed by several pages of examples of 'Uses of Cmaj7, uses of a Cmaj7b5, and uses of a Cmaj7+5...that fit neatly with LCC thinking.
I bet he was something else to study with. I remember the line in the old Guitar Player interview with him where he said the first thing he did with a student is 'try to get them to quit'!