Is there any software that works with the concept?

The main body of the LCC and its practical application, including all 4 published versions of Book 1 with their inserts: the 1959 tan cover; the 1959 light green cover Japanese edition; the 1970‘s white cover, which adds an illustrated River Trip to the 1959 edition, and the currently available Fourth Edition, 2001.

The authorization code is the first word on Page 198 of the Fourth Edition of the LCCTO.

Moderators: bobappleton, sandywilliams

Forum rules
An open letter from Alice Russell. June 21, 2011, Brookline, Massachusetts. 1. DO NOT make insulting, mean spirited remarks about anyone or their work; there are a plethora of sites where you can rant unfettered. If you attack someone personally, your comments will be removed. You can post it, but I'm not paying for it. Go elsewhere, and let those artists who are actually interested in discussion and learning have the floor. 2. There will be NO posting of or links to copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner. That's the law. And if you respect the work of people who make meaningful contributions, you should have no problem following this policy. 3. I appreciate many of the postings from so many of you. Please don't feel you have to spend your time "defending" the LCC to those who come here with the express purpose of disproving it. George worked for decades to disprove it himself; if you know his music, there's no question that it has gravity. And a final word: George was famous for his refusal to lower his standards in all areas of his life, no matter the cost. He twice refused concerts of his music at Lincoln Center Jazz because of their early position on what was authentically jazz. So save any speculation about the level of him as an artist and a man. The quotes on our websites were not written by George; they were written by critics/writers/scholars/fans over many years. Sincerely, Alice
znmeb

Is there any software that works with the concept?

Post by znmeb »

I'm wondering if there's any software out there that can assist composers using the Lydian Chromatic Concept. Open source is strongly preferred. If there isn't, I'll probably take a shot at writing some for my own use. Does anyone here know of existing LCCTO software?

Ed Borasky
dds1234

Post by dds1234 »

To be honest, I highly doubt it. What aspect are you interested in though? Labeling on sheet music? That's basically all I can think of in a compositional manner...

If you write in C++ I'm pretty sure it would be quite easy to write a plugin for Sibelius for labeling and such...

-You could always write code/contribute to Lilypond! (Freeware/GNU license.)

(Ranting sorry, did I help at all?)
znmeb

Post by znmeb »

dds1234 wrote:To be honest, I highly doubt it. What aspect are you interested in though? Labeling on sheet music? That's basically all I can think of in a compositional manner...

If you write in C++ I'm pretty sure it would be quite easy to write a plugin for Sibelius for labeling and such...

-You could always write code/contribute to Lilypond! (Freeware/GNU license.)

(Ranting sorry, did I help at all?)
Yeah, that does help a little. I have a Windows system, but no Mac, and my preferred modus operandi is openSUSE Linux. I'm strictly a studio musician / algorithmic composer. I have been interested in jazz and electronic music / algorithmic composition for a long time.

About a week ago, I was listening to the local jazz station and heard Russell's "Electronic Sonata for Souls Loved by Nature". My first reaction was, "How did I not know of this?" So I did a little digging, discovered that Russell had recently passed away, and that he had developed a musical theory I had never heard of, and that said theory has inspired jazz musicians since the late 1950s! So now I own the CD, the book, and am itching to start using it.

I don't do C++; my best languages are Perl and Ruby. So far the most promising open source package I've found is something out of Harvey Mudd College called "Impro-Visor". It's in Java so it will run nearly everywhere, and it's GPL. http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/improvisor/

I've got it downloaded and I'm going to see how easy it would be to create data for the LCCTO with it. Watch this space. ;-)
dds1234

Post by dds1234 »

Sounds delicious!! :D

I'm curious, what type of addition were you planning on writing for it?

Have you ever heard of the ear-training software GNU solfege? It has contributed to my musical knowledge/vocabulary almost as much as studying and practicing the concept! It's so thorough!
znmeb

Post by znmeb »

dds1234 wrote:Sounds delicious!! :D

I'm curious, what type of addition were you planning on writing for it?

Have you ever heard of the ear-training software GNU solfege? It has contributed to my musical knowledge/vocabulary almost as much as studying and practicing the concept! It's so thorough!
Yeah, the GNU Solfege software is in openSUSE. I got Impro-Visor up on my machine, and interestingly enough, it has "vocabularies" for most, if not all, of the musicians influenced by Russell -- Coltrane, Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, etc. So perhaps there's a common underlying structure that could be extracted.

So the plan is to lock myself in a room with Impro-Visor for a week and see what it does. I'm pretty sure I can get it to the point where I'd at least be able to play flute along with it on some standards. It can make MIDI output, so I should be able to get pure composition from it as well.
znmeb

Post by znmeb »

motherlode wrote:Algorithmic composer?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithmic_music
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

hey znmeb: it's been talked about around here... but never done... until now... good luck