It's a sad day

The main body of the LCC and its practical application, including all 4 published versions of Book 1 with their inserts: the 1959 tan cover; the 1959 light green cover Japanese edition; the 1970‘s white cover, which adds an illustrated River Trip to the 1959 edition, and the currently available Fourth Edition, 2001.

The authorization code is the first word on Page 198 of the Fourth Edition of the LCCTO.

Moderators: bobappleton, sandywilliams

Forum rules
An open letter from Alice Russell. June 21, 2011, Brookline, Massachusetts. 1. DO NOT make insulting, mean spirited remarks about anyone or their work; there are a plethora of sites where you can rant unfettered. If you attack someone personally, your comments will be removed. You can post it, but I'm not paying for it. Go elsewhere, and let those artists who are actually interested in discussion and learning have the floor. 2. There will be NO posting of or links to copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner. That's the law. And if you respect the work of people who make meaningful contributions, you should have no problem following this policy. 3. I appreciate many of the postings from so many of you. Please don't feel you have to spend your time "defending" the LCC to those who come here with the express purpose of disproving it. George worked for decades to disprove it himself; if you know his music, there's no question that it has gravity. And a final word: George was famous for his refusal to lower his standards in all areas of his life, no matter the cost. He twice refused concerts of his music at Lincoln Center Jazz because of their early position on what was authentically jazz. So save any speculation about the level of him as an artist and a man. The quotes on our websites were not written by George; they were written by critics/writers/scholars/fans over many years. Sincerely, Alice
pierem

It's a sad day

Post by pierem »

According to these sources: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/07/ ... 2776.shtml
http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2009/07/2 ... dies-at-86

George Russell passed away on Monday. I was discussing his music with Bruce Cale, an Australian composer who attended George Russell's seminar in the 80s, just a few days ago, and he was telling me how beautiful George Russell was, as a person and as an artist. I wish I had known him, but his music enlightened my life since the first time I heard it almost 15 years ago. So thank you George for all the beauty you brought to the world. All my condolences to his family. This is indeed a sad day :cry:
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

Sandy Williams and I each received this email last night.
It was also sent to 48 others.

<<
Hello, everyone,
Jock arrived at 8:30 tonight; several dear friends were in the room,
and we toasted him and told him we loved him. A half hour later as we
all spoke of memories of him, he stopped breathing. It was peaceful,
there was no distress, a gentle death.
There will be no funeral; we will plan a memorial service in the future
Your visits, thoughts, memories, prayers have sustained me, Thank you.
Alice
>>

So Long George. Thanks for everything.
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

He was a true original and a shining light in the darkness. I was
lucky to have known him.

I learned so much from you, George. Thank you!
dogbite

Post by dogbite »

agree with him and his concept, or not, he was an inspiration to many and has become the catalyst for many spirited, deep discussions about music theory and practice. i am pleased to have had the opportunity to meet him and study his works.

peaceful journey to you, GR.

db
sandywilliams

Post by sandywilliams »

Alan Smith

Post by Alan Smith »

My deepest condolences to George Russell's family on this very sad day. His music and his theory have been such an inspiration to so many artists from different backgrounds all over the world and his legacy will surely outface time to stand as one of the major artistic and intellectual achievements of the last century.
Regards

Alan Smith
strachs

Post by strachs »

Mrs. Russell:

I'm not sure if you read the Forum, but you have my sincerest condolences on the loss of your husband. The world knew him for his innovations in art and understanding, but your loss is a personal one.

May you find comfort in our Creator's assurances.

Job 14:14, 15
John 6:40; 11:24, 25
1 Corinthinthians 15:26
Revelation 21:3, 4

Regards,

Kevin