Dissonance Versus Outgoingness

The main body of the LCC and its practical application, including all 4 published versions of Book 1 with their inserts: the 1959 tan cover; the 1959 light green cover Japanese edition; the 1970‘s white cover, which adds an illustrated River Trip to the 1959 edition, and the currently available Fourth Edition, 2001.

The authorization code is the first word on Page 198 of the Fourth Edition of the LCCTO.

Moderators: bobappleton, sandywilliams

Forum rules
An open letter from Alice Russell. June 21, 2011, Brookline, Massachusetts. 1. DO NOT make insulting, mean spirited remarks about anyone or their work; there are a plethora of sites where you can rant unfettered. If you attack someone personally, your comments will be removed. You can post it, but I'm not paying for it. Go elsewhere, and let those artists who are actually interested in discussion and learning have the floor. 2. There will be NO posting of or links to copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner. That's the law. And if you respect the work of people who make meaningful contributions, you should have no problem following this policy. 3. I appreciate many of the postings from so many of you. Please don't feel you have to spend your time "defending" the LCC to those who come here with the express purpose of disproving it. George worked for decades to disprove it himself; if you know his music, there's no question that it has gravity. And a final word: George was famous for his refusal to lower his standards in all areas of his life, no matter the cost. He twice refused concerts of his music at Lincoln Center Jazz because of their early position on what was authentically jazz. So save any speculation about the level of him as an artist and a man. The quotes on our websites were not written by George; they were written by critics/writers/scholars/fans over many years. Sincerely, Alice
strachs

Dissonance Versus Outgoingness

Post by strachs »

What's your take on this?
dds1234

Post by dds1234 »

Personally I find them interchangeable... Although I do feel one has much more of a negative connotation.

-Daniel
=^_^=
dds1234

Post by dds1234 »

Was it your idea to ask if dissonance had to do with HTG?
strachs

Post by strachs »

Not really.

The reason I want to see if there is a distinction is this:

Put the 12 tones of equal temperament in a row spaced by fifths, 1 through 12. Numbers 1 through 7 are the 7TO, a Lydian scale. Tones 8 through 12 are the "outgoing" tones.

In Russell's "Lydian Chromatic Scale", the 8th tone is placed last in the chain and termed the "12 tone order". The other "out" tones are left in their original spaced-by-fifths order.

If outgoingness equals dissonance, then an objective, quantized increase in dissonance would be heard/felt with each higher order. On page 106 of LCCOTO , we find the only mention of the word "dissonant", and it is seen to be replaced by the term "outgoing", for reasons of objectivity.

That would suggest that outgoingness is, in effect, "measured" or determined by a tone's actual distance in fifths from the Lydian Tonic.

My question though, is: if outgoingness has more to do with distance from the Lydian tonic than it does with the quality we usually term "dissonance", why does the Lydian Chromatic scale treat the 8th tone in the chain of fifths as the most outgoing, placing it in the 12TO?

I'm not trying to pick apart Russell's book or theory. I just think that a closer look at the ingoing-to-outgoing gradient is warranted. If the 8th tone in the chain of fifths is such a stark contradiction to the idea of a grade in fifths (which it is), then perhaps the other tones (from 9 to 12) should not be assumed to offer such a neat, consonant-to-dissonant grade.

Obviously, the outgoingness of the 11- and 12- tone orders is not due simply to distance from the Lydian Tonic, but is something that can be audibly heard as dissonance. It's as if these tones resist sounding simultaneously with the Lydian Scale. So the subjective consideration of sound is deemed important rather than the conceptual "distance" that these tones occupy from a Lydian Tonic.

The remaining three tones, the 9th, 10th, and 11th (considered by Russell to be tonal orders 8 through 10) should likewise be rated along the same lines, in my opinion.

Our acceptance of the objectivity of a Lydian-based perspective was mostly due to experiencing what vertical unity SOUNDS LIKE when we compare the Lydian scale and the Major scale side-by-side. Attributing that unity to the ladder of fifths seems reasonable, so we begin viewing the musical world from that objective, Lydian perspective.

One would like to then treat the "out" tones similarly, but the 8th tone forces us to acknowledge that something different happens there. We encounter the MOST outgoing tone, where you might expect to find only a SLIGHTLY more outgoing one.

So we gladly place the 8th tone in the position of most outgoing, the 12 tone order. What about the other tones? Do you personally experience the Lydian Augmented, Lydian Diminished, and Lydian Flat Seventh scales and their chords to unfold in a gradual, ordered, venture into dissonance, or outgoingness?

That is my question. I'd like to hear what you hear/experience in those scales/tonal orders, and whether that ingoing-to-outgoing order agrees with your ears or not.

If outgoingness is different than dissonance, maybe the order should not be interrupted as with the LCS. If it is the same thing, we should verify that the LCS is in fact a representation of consonant-to-dissonant.

(It doesn't help that you don't always know whether you're dealing with LA or Lb7)

***BTW, if I had said yes, do you have a theory on that?***
dds1234

Post by dds1234 »

No, I was just curious! =^_^=

Hmm... I'll have to really play around with the higher orders a bit more...
I cannot honestly give you an answer. It's a bit hard for me to rate such a thing via comparison, seems a bit ridiculous because my mind finds a different tonical center each time... Not the lowest tone, but the most outgoing. (More than likely the lowest tone that relates to the most outgoing tone)

One thing I do know is that the bIII and +V sound the exact same distance away from the lydian tonic to me. (The same outgoingness)
Last edited by dds1234 on Fri May 15, 2009 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
dds1234

Post by dds1234 »

Well, I've been messing around with different ways of playing it... or an absolute way to tell the difference and... Now I am just confused.
dds1234

Post by dds1234 »

Does anyone have an accurate way to test this? Due to the lack of sustain in the higher register of a piano I don't really have time to really wonder about it. I think I am just going to make examples using a pure sine wave.

Anyone way ahead of me by any chance?
strachs

Post by strachs »

It is not as simple as it seems, is it? Our musical training and experience can actually make us less objective when it comes to discerning levels of dissonance.

I wonder if consensus on this can even be reached? If not, then the Lydian Chromatic Order is one working model that one may use, but the musician/theorist/whatever should at least acknowledge, as we do with Equal Temperament, that we are accepting something as a common-sense compromise, not because it is perfect or even objective.

On the other hand, if consensus can be reached, will the results agree with the Lydian Chromatic Order, or some other ordering of ingoing-to-outgoing?

I invite as many as are willing to listen and weigh in, even sharing your method for comparing these tonal orders in a fairly objective way.
dds1234

Post by dds1234 »

I have a track built now with the order (in C lydian) with a C# then a G# proceeding in different octaves... It seems with these sort of tests the octave REALLY matters. That's what I am having trouble with, making a decision. I think I am going to ask some of my non-musician friends what they think about each one.