Spotlight on Aux Dim

The main body of the LCC and its practical application, including all 4 published versions of Book 1 with their inserts: the 1959 tan cover; the 1959 light green cover Japanese edition; the 1970‘s white cover, which adds an illustrated River Trip to the 1959 edition, and the currently available Fourth Edition, 2001.

The authorization code is the first word on Page 198 of the Fourth Edition of the LCCTO.

Moderators: bobappleton, sandywilliams

Forum rules
An open letter from Alice Russell. June 21, 2011, Brookline, Massachusetts. 1. DO NOT make insulting, mean spirited remarks about anyone or their work; there are a plethora of sites where you can rant unfettered. If you attack someone personally, your comments will be removed. You can post it, but I'm not paying for it. Go elsewhere, and let those artists who are actually interested in discussion and learning have the floor. 2. There will be NO posting of or links to copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner. That's the law. And if you respect the work of people who make meaningful contributions, you should have no problem following this policy. 3. I appreciate many of the postings from so many of you. Please don't feel you have to spend your time "defending" the LCC to those who come here with the express purpose of disproving it. George worked for decades to disprove it himself; if you know his music, there's no question that it has gravity. And a final word: George was famous for his refusal to lower his standards in all areas of his life, no matter the cost. He twice refused concerts of his music at Lincoln Center Jazz because of their early position on what was authentically jazz. So save any speculation about the level of him as an artist and a man. The quotes on our websites were not written by George; they were written by critics/writers/scholars/fans over many years. Sincerely, Alice
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

you are something. i often forget where i learned "most" of my life-lessons from - jazz. then you remind me...

in art or design i'd talk about "oppositing" - meaning the simple act of doing the opposite of what anyone else is doing. if they're fast - go slow. if they're big, be small. if they're straight ahead, don't be... etc

so parker in 1946 is playing the musical equivalent of bored and laughing (at the same time - no simple idea). bored and laughing is "contradiction" in postmodern theory. one example from jacques lacan (french psychoanlyst and critical theorist): "the unconscious is the discourse of the other"... then when talking about how this applies in therapy, he adds "the subject first talks about himself without talking to you, then he talks to you without talking about himself. When he is able to talk to you about himself, the analysis is over."

musical performance is a form of therapy spoken out loud. the unconscious freely expresses anything it chooses. when the unconscious stops talking the "therapy" is over - either someone else starts "talking", or there's a structured passage (composition or arrangement) which creates a segue.

you might like what george lewis has written comparing john cage and charlie parker as two musicians interested in "real-time" music. it's worth a read. http://www.4shared.com/file/92896573/cd ... dcage.html

b
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

absolutely. and i'll share more as i know it.

my hope is that there may also be a message for you in george lewis (who you must know - through muhal richard abrams at least).

;

our forum makes me wish that we all lived in the same town and could hang out. the next best thing to 'examples' is 'doing'

ps: you once asked for a longer version of my improv with the parakeet. it's here now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbzrh1-XI0o
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

sorry if i'm still off-topic. your posts are really interesting and bring up a ton of stuff for me.

i was able to find a copy of the joseph jarman cd "song for" with christopher gaddy on piano http://themoreyouthinkaboutit.blogspot.com
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

;)
sandywilliams

Post by sandywilliams »

I love that line at bars 14 and 15. I hear two other things when I slow it down:
1. right after the A natural in bar two I hear an Ab..setting up a Bb7 change.
2. The last note I hear as an F natural. The is a good example of what George calls 'Vertical Poly-modality' 'cause the notes on beat three outline a Bb aug and the last four notes an F minor triad.
sandywilliams

Post by sandywilliams »

Hope you feel better soon!
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

Yes. Get well soon. Here's a little Lou Donaldson for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNnpk50v ... 17&index=9
chespernevins

Get well!!!

Post by chespernevins »

Motherlode!

Please get well and be back to us soon!

We're thinking of you,

CN, aka Jason
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

wendell harrison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mr4NUv2uHo

who is the bass clarinetist?
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

charlie parker and dizzy gillespie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91dolWWd ... re=related