Putting LCC to work.

The main body of the LCC and its practical application, including all 4 published versions of Book 1 with their inserts: the 1959 tan cover; the 1959 light green cover Japanese edition; the 1970‘s white cover, which adds an illustrated River Trip to the 1959 edition, and the currently available Fourth Edition, 2001.

The authorization code is the first word on Page 198 of the Fourth Edition of the LCCTO.

Moderators: bobappleton, sandywilliams

Forum rules
An open letter from Alice Russell. June 21, 2011, Brookline, Massachusetts. 1. DO NOT make insulting, mean spirited remarks about anyone or their work; there are a plethora of sites where you can rant unfettered. If you attack someone personally, your comments will be removed. You can post it, but I'm not paying for it. Go elsewhere, and let those artists who are actually interested in discussion and learning have the floor. 2. There will be NO posting of or links to copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner. That's the law. And if you respect the work of people who make meaningful contributions, you should have no problem following this policy. 3. I appreciate many of the postings from so many of you. Please don't feel you have to spend your time "defending" the LCC to those who come here with the express purpose of disproving it. George worked for decades to disprove it himself; if you know his music, there's no question that it has gravity. And a final word: George was famous for his refusal to lower his standards in all areas of his life, no matter the cost. He twice refused concerts of his music at Lincoln Center Jazz because of their early position on what was authentically jazz. So save any speculation about the level of him as an artist and a man. The quotes on our websites were not written by George; they were written by critics/writers/scholars/fans over many years. Sincerely, Alice
Fer Carranza

Putting LCC to work.

Post by Fer Carranza »

Hi, I´m taking again before a few years an aproach to unusual scales that I created for composition. I was doing it several years ago, before I meet the LCC. Now, I want to order these scales into the tonal orders gived by the book. In example in a scale named Azul with this notes: C-Db-E-F-G#-A-Bb, I categorized it like Horizontal 12 tonal order, by the presence of F (IV) and horizontal by the abscence of #IV. Is this right??? You should do it in that way???? thanks!!!!!!
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

The scale does have a very dominant sound, so you could call it a Bb Lydian (II) ten tone order scale, because of the presence of the G#.
"Life finds a way"- Wayne Shorter
sandywilliams

Post by sandywilliams »

Fernando,
I think your analysis is correct if you are using it in a horizontal manner with C as the key. Those same notes are very close to what is commonly called the Db augmented scale, Db, E,F.G#,A, C. Though this scale isn’t found in the LCC book you can certainly use the Concept to put it in the context of tonal gravity. The Db aug scale is just a Db augmented triad with half-step approaches to each note. You could say the Db aug scale is a combination of a Db augmented triad and a C augmented triad. Looking at your scale vertically, it would fall into the Db nine-tone tonal order. This would still be the case with the Bb note added.
Fer Carranza

Post by Fer Carranza »

thanks for your approaches to this subject!!!!! Your points of views brings to me new landscapes to work harmonically with this scale that I never thinked. One can addapt the order of the notes to put it to work vertically like you said. thanks again,
Fernando
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

There are so many possibilities with the LCC, right?

Here's another way to look at it:

If you think the scale has a horizontal character, look for a major or minor triad that the scale resolves to.

I can hear this collection of notes resolving to an F Major triad. (it's not the only one, but it may be the strongest one. There's a Db major triad and an A Major triad, but neither of those have a fourth up from Db or A for us to clearly determine its horizontal nature).

So, given the horizontal resolution to an F Major triad, the scale could be called BbVh (10TO). It could also be Db IIIh (9TO). And it could be F Ih (11TO).

You’re looking for Lydian keys that have an F Major triad as a CMG tonic station. (To my knowledge, Book I never explicitly says we can have CMG tonic station triads in anything but the Lydian scale/7TO, but it seems to me to work very well when we extend it to other tonal orders as well.)

In my view, the only problem with calling it a C Ih is that there is no C major or minor triad for the scale to resolve to (it's augmented). This is not to say that you CAN’T call it this, but it seems like a very outgoing classification.
Fer Carranza

Post by Fer Carranza »

It´s very interesting....., after your posts I tried horizontally to resolve to F major like you say and it´s very useful in this way, but the differents Keys to consider to work opens more and more the scope to diversity in composition. So, the question is what is the more ingoing environment of this collection??? I think that the one with less alterations or with the lowest tonal order. In this case Db nine tonal order will be the most ingoing way to classify this collection. It takes me to another question: one can do this kind of analysis even in the seven principal scales of LCC???
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

It takes me to another question: one can do this kind of analysis even in the seven principal scales of LCC???
Hi FC, here’s my short answer – because I wanted to get back to you before too long.

7-10 Tone Order scales can definitely resolve to Tonic Station Triads built on Conceptual Modal Tonic degrees V, III, II and VII.

V = major triad
III = minor triad
II = major triad
VII = minor triad

This is all in Book I – are you familiar with this?

11 and 12 tone orders can resolve to any of the above plus I (major) and VI (minor).
Fer Carranza

Post by Fer Carranza »

I read the book three years ago, and since that, I worked with it in standards and in my own compositions, like a source to improvise, and to me it´s easy now to do it. I don´t remember to have read anything like you says in that way, but I must to read again the concepts in the book, but I don´t remember now. For what you says I understand this: in example, 7-tonal order scale (F Lydian): F-G-A-B-C-D-E. 8-tonal order scale (F Lydian Agumented): F-G-A-B-C#-D-E. 9-tonal order scale (F Lydian Dimished): F-G-Ab-B-C-D-E and 10-tonal order scale (FLydian b7): F-G-A-B-C-D-Eb, all of these scales resolves to CMT V: C Major, or III: A minor; or II: G Major or VII: E minor.
And furthermore the 11 and 12 tonal orders (F AD and F ADB) resolves to all of previous and resolves to I (F) and VI (Dm). This is well undestood for me???
The strange thing with this is that I believed that Lydian scale don´t resolve to nothing because your vertical nature. Can you explain me what I don´t understand??
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

Hi FC,

Here's my take on it, although I have only book I and some other random notes to go on.
I don´t remember to have read anything like you says in that way, but I must to read again the concepts in the book, but I don´t remember now.
Check out p. 116-126 to start.

For what you says I understand this: in example,

7-tonal order scale (F Lydian): F-G-A-B-C-D-E.
8-tonal order scale (F Lydian Agumented): F-G-A-B-C#-D-E.
9-tonal order scale (F Lydian Dimished): F-G-Ab-B-C-D-E and
10-tonal order scale (FLydian b7): F-G-A-B-C-D-Eb,

all of these scales resolves to CMT V: C Major, or III: A minor; or II: G Major or VII: E minor.
And furthermore the 11 and 12 tonal orders (F AD and F ADB) resolves to all of previous and resolves to I (F) and VI (Dm). This is well undestood for me???
Correct, except the F Lyd Aug doesn’t have a C Major Triad because you can’t build a C Maj triad on the V. A CMG shares the same set of pitches as its parent Lydian scale, e.g., C Major = the same set of notes as F Lydian.
The strange thing with this is that I believed that Lydian scale don´t resolve to nothing because your vertical nature. Can you explain me what I don´t understand??
Lydian is a unity with its I Maj and VI min chords first and foremost. It is also a unity with all the vertical chords it creates. But look at Modal Genre V – it’s not C Major – it’s F Lyd with V in the Bass. This is the vertical chord that is created by the F Lydian scale on Modal Tonic V.

A CMG, though is a “theoreticalâ€
Fer Carranza

Post by Fer Carranza »

I read again the book, that´s right, I forgotten this subject. I understand it, the dual feature of these CMG drives to yours appreciations....thank you Chesper and you guys!!!!! One uses this Concept in one way, with one point of view, starting from chords to scales, using CMGs, PMGs and SMGs, but I failed when I come from predetermined and unusual scales from chords. It was very interesting because I must to read again the book and clarify what it says. Thanks!!!!!
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

FC,

That's great!

I was meaning to ask - have you used this scale in a composition of yours? If so, what character does the scale take on in your piece(s)? Is it more of a vertical or horizontal usage, and if horizontal, what does it resolve to?

In fact, if you want to follow the example of Motherlode, maybe you could post a few bars?

Thanks!
Fer Carranza

Post by Fer Carranza »

I use differents scales for composition, I don´t remember if this scale in particular was used by me. Searching in my compositions I found one called "En el Camino", where I use (remember that I don´t knowed the Concept yet) this collection: C-D-Eb-E-F#-G-Bb, and the chords I wear for harmonize the melody were: Gsus/D- EbMaj7- Gsus/D- EbMaj7- Cm7-Cm7b5- D7#5- F#7#5- GmMaj7- EbmMaj7- C9- C7#9 and in the refrain GmMaj7- Em7b5- EbMaj7-, well and so on. In future posts I share some others scales and harmonizations more complex, but it´s difficult in some examples because I renamed certain chords in my way and I must to decodified it to translate into normal notation. Hope this will be useful.....