Wayne Shorter, Massey Hall, December 5th

The main body of the LCC and its practical application, including all 4 published versions of Book 1 with their inserts: the 1959 tan cover; the 1959 light green cover Japanese edition; the 1970‘s white cover, which adds an illustrated River Trip to the 1959 edition, and the currently available Fourth Edition, 2001.

The authorization code is the first word on Page 198 of the Fourth Edition of the LCCTO.

Moderators: bobappleton, sandywilliams

Forum rules
An open letter from Alice Russell. June 21, 2011, Brookline, Massachusetts. 1. DO NOT make insulting, mean spirited remarks about anyone or their work; there are a plethora of sites where you can rant unfettered. If you attack someone personally, your comments will be removed. You can post it, but I'm not paying for it. Go elsewhere, and let those artists who are actually interested in discussion and learning have the floor. 2. There will be NO posting of or links to copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner. That's the law. And if you respect the work of people who make meaningful contributions, you should have no problem following this policy. 3. I appreciate many of the postings from so many of you. Please don't feel you have to spend your time "defending" the LCC to those who come here with the express purpose of disproving it. George worked for decades to disprove it himself; if you know his music, there's no question that it has gravity. And a final word: George was famous for his refusal to lower his standards in all areas of his life, no matter the cost. He twice refused concerts of his music at Lincoln Center Jazz because of their early position on what was authentically jazz. So save any speculation about the level of him as an artist and a man. The quotes on our websites were not written by George; they were written by critics/writers/scholars/fans over many years. Sincerely, Alice
bobappleton

Wayne Shorter, Massey Hall, December 5th

Post by bobappleton »

Pure improvisation and the audience loved them for it. They seemed to explore the limits of tonality and dynamics from the point of view of pure sound and rhythm rather than song form. And in the middle of all this, there was a beautiful segue through a new arrangement of Footprints. Danilo Perez, John Patitucci and Brian Blade each led the music in interesting directions and Wayne Shorter sat on top of it all on tenor and soprano like the master he is - inspiring them onward.

Afterwards a friend said he thought they were playing with the physics of music, just like the Concept does.

It was a great concert. I hope they'll release at least one double-album from the tour.

b
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

You are making me so jealous.
Last edited by Andrew on Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life finds a way"- Wayne Shorter
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

One thing I love about him, out of so many, is his ability play so much using so little. That sounds very cliche! but he goes about it completely different than anybody else who has that same characteristic. You can just tell how sensitive he is to each passing tonality, and how much he is in tune with what Danilo is doing. And he has this incredible ability to pick the notes that you would have never known existed within that tonality! You really hear him toying with levels of tonal gravity you never knew existed. This is especially obvious on "Joy Ryder" from Beyond the Sound Barrier.
"Life finds a way"- Wayne Shorter
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

I knew you'd appreciate a short report.

Danilo did a number of things with staccato rhythms right at the bottom of the piano which he used to change the direction of a piece. Then it was like three drummers with Wayne on top. And when they came back for the encore there was some playful foot stamping and whistling - and Wayne played effortless percussion not so randomly dropping his mouthpiece cover on the music stand.

If you took everything else out, you'd just have four people dancing for an hour and a half. Maybe not releasing albums provides some liberation from making commercial sounds for sale and lets the music live again. What was it Monk said in those notes from Steve Lacy? "Don't play everything (or every time); let some things go by. Some music just imagined."

b

ps: let's hope for the live album anyway...