the music holds no surprises?

The main body of the LCC and its practical application, including all 4 published versions of Book 1 with their inserts: the 1959 tan cover; the 1959 light green cover Japanese edition; the 1970‘s white cover, which adds an illustrated River Trip to the 1959 edition, and the currently available Fourth Edition, 2001.

The authorization code is the first word on Page 198 of the Fourth Edition of the LCCTO.

Moderators: bobappleton, sandywilliams

Forum rules
An open letter from Alice Russell. June 21, 2011, Brookline, Massachusetts. 1. DO NOT make insulting, mean spirited remarks about anyone or their work; there are a plethora of sites where you can rant unfettered. If you attack someone personally, your comments will be removed. You can post it, but I'm not paying for it. Go elsewhere, and let those artists who are actually interested in discussion and learning have the floor. 2. There will be NO posting of or links to copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner. That's the law. And if you respect the work of people who make meaningful contributions, you should have no problem following this policy. 3. I appreciate many of the postings from so many of you. Please don't feel you have to spend your time "defending" the LCC to those who come here with the express purpose of disproving it. George worked for decades to disprove it himself; if you know his music, there's no question that it has gravity. And a final word: George was famous for his refusal to lower his standards in all areas of his life, no matter the cost. He twice refused concerts of his music at Lincoln Center Jazz because of their early position on what was authentically jazz. So save any speculation about the level of him as an artist and a man. The quotes on our websites were not written by George; they were written by critics/writers/scholars/fans over many years. Sincerely, Alice
bobappleton

the music holds no surprises?

Post by bobappleton »

ok. so i just got back from the hmv store where i went to see if they had a new wayne shorter cd, since i got a ticket (couldn't afford 2) to see him in december. well they don't (there is one coming out but they don't have it). in fact in the jazz department they were playing country and western music. so i went into the classical department and walked over to the 20th/21st century section - they were playing gershwin (2 pianos, very nice, but...).

so i wondered, if i spent $25 could i buy a great jazz cd which pushed the musical envelope as we know it - at hmv or any other musical superstore?

tell me i'm wrong. please.

b
sandywilliams

Post by sandywilliams »

Motherland by Danilo Perez?
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

Thanks Sandy. I'll check it out.

Anyone else have a candidate for a $25 investment in music?

b
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

Hey thanks for both of these. I've got some listening to do.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Oh I had no idea Wayne Shorter had a new CD coming out! He's my absolute favorite musician, not only in his music but also in his lifestyle. Bob I really envy you for being able to see him.

Brad Mehldau's new live CD pushes the musical envelope quite a bit.
"Life finds a way"- Wayne Shorter
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

Hard to find his schedule on the web. I guess LA is closest to you - but maybe not close enough.

Tue 12/02/08 New York, NY Carnegie Hall
Wed 12/03/08 Boston, MA Berklee Performance Center
Fri 12/05/08 Toronto, ON Massey Hall
Wed 12/10/08 Los Angeles, CA Walt Disney Concert Hall
Fri 12/12/08 Mexico City, MEX Lunario
Wed 03/11/09 Porto, POR Sala 2
Fri 03/13/09 Rotterdam, NET Lantaren
Sat 03/14/09 Eindhoven, NET Frits Philips Musiccentre
Sun 03/15/09 Groningen, NET De Oosterpoort
Wed 03/18/09 Budapest, HUN Bela Bartok Concert Hall
Thu 03/19/09 Vienna, AUT Wiener Konzerthaus
Fri 03/20/09 Vienna, AUT Wiener Konzerthaus
Mon 03/23/09 Athens, GRE Athens Concert Hall
sandywilliams

Post by sandywilliams »

[quote="motherlode"]"Out Front" by Booker Little
w/ Max Roach, Eric Dolphy, Julian Priester, Ron Carter, Don Friedman, & Art Davis
- or maybe -
"America the Beautiful" by Gary McFarland
Orchestral Jazz Suite[/quote]
Motherload, I downloaded these from emusic.com. I didn't get any performer credits with the download.
I'm curious who the guitarist is on "America the Beautiful". Sounds like Cornell Dupree. Is it?
sandywilliams

Post by sandywilliams »

Nice to hear Eric hang it out on something besides disco. He sounds great! That's quite a tapestry of sound on that side.