September 20: LTO@ICA Boston

The main body of the LCC and its practical application, including all 4 published versions of Book 1 with their inserts: the 1959 tan cover; the 1959 light green cover Japanese edition; the 1970‘s white cover, which adds an illustrated River Trip to the 1959 edition, and the currently available Fourth Edition, 2001.

The authorization code is the first word on Page 198 of the Fourth Edition of the LCCTO.

Moderators: bobappleton, sandywilliams

Forum rules
An open letter from Alice Russell. June 21, 2011, Brookline, Massachusetts. 1. DO NOT make insulting, mean spirited remarks about anyone or their work; there are a plethora of sites where you can rant unfettered. If you attack someone personally, your comments will be removed. You can post it, but I'm not paying for it. Go elsewhere, and let those artists who are actually interested in discussion and learning have the floor. 2. There will be NO posting of or links to copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner. That's the law. And if you respect the work of people who make meaningful contributions, you should have no problem following this policy. 3. I appreciate many of the postings from so many of you. Please don't feel you have to spend your time "defending" the LCC to those who come here with the express purpose of disproving it. George worked for decades to disprove it himself; if you know his music, there's no question that it has gravity. And a final word: George was famous for his refusal to lower his standards in all areas of his life, no matter the cost. He twice refused concerts of his music at Lincoln Center Jazz because of their early position on what was authentically jazz. So save any speculation about the level of him as an artist and a man. The quotes on our websites were not written by George; they were written by critics/writers/scholars/fans over many years. Sincerely, Alice
bobappleton

September 20: LTO@ICA Boston

Post by bobappleton »

Was anyone on the Forum at last night's gig with George Russell and the LTO at the ICA in Boston? It would be great to have short report or review. Especially for those of us who wished we could have been there!

Where were you last night? I was in Toronto at Chalkers Pub listening to the amazing Bob Brough quartet with David Braid, Artie Roth and Kevin Dempsey. The quality of this music is still one of the world's best kept secrets ;)

b
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

Just received this from Alice Russell. I hope it's OK to share - and I'm sure that it is:
<<...it was possibly the best concert we've ever produced! Sheila Jordan reprised "You Are My Sunshine."--G got up and conducted and danced on African Game and It's About Time, and the musicians were magnificent. It was the last concert, I think; there wasn't a dry eye in the house, and it couldn't have been more wonderful.>>
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

A Review (by a classical music writer) from the Boston Phoenix:

It’s about time... By LLOYD SCHWARTZ September 25, 2008

The most roof-raising was the evening with the George Russell Living Time Orchestra. Perhaps the festival’s most poignant moment came when the legendary master of avant-garde jazz, now 85, got up from his first row seat and, a bit shaky, began to dance and conduct extended sections of his 1983 through-composed The African Game, which
alternates sounds of the jungle (lion-roaring trombones) with the cacophony of modern technology, and his love letter to his wife, Alice, the ballad “It’s About Time.â€