SMGs Anyone?

The main body of the LCC and its practical application, including all 4 published versions of Book 1 with their inserts: the 1959 tan cover; the 1959 light green cover Japanese edition; the 1970‘s white cover, which adds an illustrated River Trip to the 1959 edition, and the currently available Fourth Edition, 2001.

The authorization code is the first word on Page 198 of the Fourth Edition of the LCCTO.

Moderators: bobappleton, sandywilliams

Forum rules
An open letter from Alice Russell. June 21, 2011, Brookline, Massachusetts. 1. DO NOT make insulting, mean spirited remarks about anyone or their work; there are a plethora of sites where you can rant unfettered. If you attack someone personally, your comments will be removed. You can post it, but I'm not paying for it. Go elsewhere, and let those artists who are actually interested in discussion and learning have the floor. 2. There will be NO posting of or links to copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner. That's the law. And if you respect the work of people who make meaningful contributions, you should have no problem following this policy. 3. I appreciate many of the postings from so many of you. Please don't feel you have to spend your time "defending" the LCC to those who come here with the express purpose of disproving it. George worked for decades to disprove it himself; if you know his music, there's no question that it has gravity. And a final word: George was famous for his refusal to lower his standards in all areas of his life, no matter the cost. He twice refused concerts of his music at Lincoln Center Jazz because of their early position on what was authentically jazz. So save any speculation about the level of him as an artist and a man. The quotes on our websites were not written by George; they were written by critics/writers/scholars/fans over many years. Sincerely, Alice
Bob

Post by Bob »

dogbite wrote: but i think the point is valid whether or not the designation of [v,h] is applied to the II...

db
But of course. I wondered if the point was only valid applied to modal genres. Thanks for the clarification.
10 {The artist formerly known as Bb}
Bob

Post by Bob »

strachs wrote:Again on that diagram Bob posted....

Wouldn't it be cool if someone could make such a "interactive" slide-rule type tool to display the modes of a Principal Scale in all the keys, and how they bend and twist when morphed into the more outgoing scales?

If anyone knows the web develper who created that cycle of fifths page......
You read my mind. Rand@RandScullard.com I'd chip in to buy him a copy of LCCTO.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Is this a serviceable paraphrase of GR p.127 (last paragraph):

Look at example VIII:I. with the key of the music on Roman numeral I at the 6 o'clock position. Now imagine each point of the circle of 5ths, each with its own Chart A.

'Wheels within wheels.'
Bob

Post by Bob »

strachs wrote:Not sure if this helps..
It does indeed help.

And, on 128

[The 'wheels within wheels']...
is the full spectrum of possibilities provided by the LC scale for exloitation of SMG within a prevailing chord/parent scale alliance.... However, their use within VTG alliances must be carefully managed to sustain the integrity of the level of VTG,....
And on the HTG level getting there and back is the trick. So when exploiting I - V - I, mind the -'s. N'est pas?
dogbite

Post by dogbite »

"You read my mind. Rand@RandScullard.com I'd chip in to buy him a copy of LCCTO."

me too...

db
sandywilliams

Post by sandywilliams »

I think you are talking about SVTG as much as SMGs. You must be careful when adjusting the matter and anti-matter flux. Without HTG the ship might implode!
Bob

Post by Bob »

sandywilliams wrote:I think you are talking about SVTG as much as SMGs. You must be careful when adjusting the matter and anti-matter flux. Without HTG the ship might implode!
Can you say more about that?
Bob

Post by Bob »

sandywilliams

Post by sandywilliams »

I once made a CD mix..but not quite…it was entirely made up of different versions of ‘Round Midnight. I’m pretty sure they’re enough versions in the ol’ library to do the same with Autumn Leaves. This version would be a great addition. It’s fun to listen and compare…not for the ‘best’ or anything like that but like going to a museum and checking out how different painters paint an apple.
Bob

Post by Bob »

It sounded to my drummer's ears that Sr. Rubalcaba went through Charts A-Z on his solo. He's really fired up on that clip. I heard him live and his playing was quiet, sensitive, and austere. What a range of emotion this guys got. My old trio mate, Jeff Chambers, played with him for a while. I wonder what that was like. Jeff has amazing ears, which were an advantage, to say the least.
sandywilliams

Post by sandywilliams »

[quote="Bob"][quote="sandywilliams"]I think you are talking about SVTG as much as SMGs. You must be careful when adjusting the matter and anti-matter flux. Without HTG the ship might implode![/quote]
Can you say more about that?[/quote]
In SVTG it’s sort of like juggling a bundle of little Ferris wheels of tonality. I can’t say I can do it. I hear HTG as the element that centers all this activity. Without it you might need some Dramamine.
Bob

Post by Bob »

sandywilliams wrote:
Bob wrote:
sandywilliams wrote:
HTG as in chord substitution?
dogbite

Post by dogbite »

sandywilliams:

"I think you are talking about SVTG as much as SMGs. You must be careful when adjusting the matter and anti-matter flux. Without HTG the ship might implode!"

she can't take much more of this captain!
sandywilliams

Post by sandywilliams »

[quote="Bob"][quote="sandywilliams"][quote="Bob"][quote="sandywilliams"]
[quote]In SVTG it’s sort of like juggling a bundle of little Ferris wheels of tonality. I can’t say I can do it. I hear HTG as the element that centers all this activity. Without it you might need some Dramamine.[/quote]
HTG as in chord substitution?[/quote]
HTG is the thread that ties together chord substitution. Simply put: if you are reharmonizing a tune, the HTG of the melody usually stays the same. My Ipanema example shows how this is not always the case.
Bob

Post by Bob »

An effective 'slide rude' can be created by taking the 'The Lydian Chromatic Order of Tonal Gravity" table (http://lydianchromaticconcept.com/lccoto_2.html), setting the Interactive circle of fifths to the Lydian scale at the tonic of choice, and mentally juxtaposing Chart A. (Accommodating, of course, for making the b9 go to the back of the line.) (Then having the set theory calculator off to one side...) :twisted: Pre-heat Sibelius to 350.